Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Active Window Project

I wanted something to put on the back wall of my office.  My wife recommended an old window.  I found a local person on Craigslist who had a wide variety of windows.



I was on a recently made Boeing plane where the color of the lights changes from a blue at takeoff to a warmer color at landing.  I liked the idea and wanted to integrate into my window.  I wanted the colors to correlate to the time of day and maybe the color temperature of the sky.

I did some research and found some references to color temperature given the sun angle, but they were symmetric.  I tweaked it for aesthetic reasons, added some bluetooth control and a sound sensitive microphone.

At dawn the window casts a blue, midday a white to yellow and at evening a yellow to red at sunset.


 The hardware was simple to setup using the strips of neopixels.



Bill of Materials
Window$10
UNO R3 ATmega328P CH340 USB Board for Compatible Arduino DIY$6
5M 30Pixels/M WS2812B Black 5050 RGB LED Strip Light $23
DS3231 AT24C32 IIC precision Real time clock RTC$3
Adafruit BlueTooth Module$18
Power Bank Ultra-High Capacity 26800mAh Dual USB$32
Total$92



.

The final product on the wall along with a video







No comments:

Post a Comment